2009 Don Haig Award Presented by documentary
The information is also available on our website: www.hotdocs.ca/index.php/industry/development/awards/#donhaig
Throughout his life, Don Haig gave generously to emerging filmmakers. He contributed his time, knowledge and resources to helping filmmakers nurture their talents.
The Don Haig Award is presented annually to an emerging Canadian documentary filmmaker. The winner will receive a $20,000 cash prize generously sponsored by documentary.
"The Don Haig Award was founded in 2002 by a group of very dedicated colleagues and friends in the film industry in order to perpetuate Don's legacy in assisting emerging independent filmmakers," says Bill Schultz, honourary chair of the Award Steering Committee and Don Haig's life partner. "Don's first love has always been documentary, and he dedicated his life to it."
The Don Haig Award is presented annually as part of the Hot Docs Awards Presentation. In 2008, the Don Haig Award was presented to UP THE YANGTZE filmmaker Yung Chang. In 2007, the recipient was Toronto-based filmmaker Hubert Davis, director of the Academy Award-nominated short film HARDWOOD. In 2006, the Don Haig Award was presented to Quebec filmmaker Guylaine Dionne and Manitoba filmmaker Sean Garrity was the recipient of a Special Jury Prize.
"We’ve had outstanding support for Don’s vision and stellar winners of the award since its inception," says committee chair Joan Schafer.
This year’s Don Haig Award will be presented at the 2009 Hot Docs Awards Presentation on Friday, May 8, 2009.
Emerging documentary filmmakers from across Canada are eligible to submit an application for consideration by the jury, which will consist of representatives from Don Haig Award Committee, documentary, Hot Docs and a past recipient of the Don Haig Award. The group will collectively select the recipient.
Application Deadline: March 13, 2009
Application packages should consist of five copies of the following materials:
- A DVD of up to three documentary films of which the filmmaker must have had creative control. Film schoolprojects and film students are not eligible for this award.
- A current CV and bio, including any documentary broadcast credits or film festival credits.
- A one-page letter stating why they feel they should be considered for the Award.
- Three written references from professionals in the film and television community.
Please mail or courier your package to arrive NO LATER than March 13, 2009 at 5pm to:
- Magda Schock, Sponsorship Marketing Coordinator
- c/o Hot Docs
- 110 Spadina Ave. Suite 333
- Toronto, ON M5V 2K4
Applications received after the deadline will not be eligible. Applications not submitted by mail or courier will not be accepted.
For more information on the nominations process or award criteria please contact:
- Jennifer Hobbs Associate Director, Sponsorship Marketing
- Hot Docs Festival
- P. 416-203-2155 ext. 226
- E. firstname.lastname@example.org